Saturday, November 12, 2016

Purge, Donate, Up-cycle, Recycle



Before you throw out or toss to the side, see if you can bring that old item back to life!

I pull off any embellishments such as zippers, buttons, and purse hardware before tossing the item, especially from purses. If you sew, you know how valuable zippers and hardware can be. For the zippers, I keep a basket in my sewing room to store them until I can get a chance to separate them from the fabric. This is a great project to do while watching a movie with the hubster. 

My daughter is a master of up-cycling. When I was out visiting her this summer I was admiring her pegboard that she made for her office/studio. I couldn't believe it when she told me the cute little holders used to be Crystal Light containers! After spraying them with a plastic paint, she put a sealer on them and added some embellishments. How cute!

In the photo above you will also see how she took old book pages, tea dyed them, and decoupaged them to the table and lampshade. She even made the lamp base out of old books!

My next project will be this really cute Collapsible Thread Catcher from The Fabric Therapy Blog. Can you believe it's made from parts of a Pringles container?




Next time you think about de-cluttering, think about the many different things you could do with the items you no longer want.




2 comments:

  1. Your daughter is so creative! The crystal light holders are fantastic. I home is way more darling with functional items made from upcycled things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagination and creativity are an amazing combination! So many things are discarded into the recycling bin that can be re-purposed. I take the tops of the large liquid laundry soap jugs and use them as bases for pin cushions.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...